“As leaders focus on their individual development, a critically developed framework is necessary for deep insights. The assessment provides an excellent mechanism, an experienced coach is necessary to understand the nuances and create an adaptable action plan. Maureen Metcalf is spectacular at translating the rich model into actionable steps for your development as well as helping you adapt to individuals with different types. She also has the uncanny ability to intuitively assess an individual’s type and provide techniques to improve interactions and outcomes.” – Chief Data Officer – Large University
Ms. Metcalf – Founder, CEO, and Board Chair of Metcalf & Associates is a highly sought-after expert in anticipating and leveraging future business trends to transform organizations. She has captured her thirty years of experience and success in an award-winning series of books which are used by public, private and academic organizations to align company-wide strategy, systems and culture with innovative leadership techniques. As a preeminent change agent, Ms. Metcalf has set strategic direction and then transformed her client organizations to deliver significant business results such as increased profitability, cycle time reduction, improved quality, and increased employee effectiveness. For years, she has been willing to share her hard-won insights – through conference speaking opportunities, industry publications, radio talk-shows, and video presentations.
Leadership is a skill to be learned and practiced. Many talented professionals have become experts in their respective fields and have not yet built their skills as leaders to the same degree they have built other skills. It is through coaching and development that they will both learn the frameworks and build strong leadership mindset and skills. Ongoing coaching support combined with assessments, tailored learning, practice, and introspection build strong professionals into strong leaders.
Maureen’s coaching is based on a structured process that serves as the foundation for coaching engagements and has been published in several books she co-authored on Innovative Leadership. The process starts with goal setting and quickly moves to a heavy focus on assessments. Clients explore a combination of personality type, developmental perspective, resilience and 360-feedback behavioral assessment looking at how leaders understand themselves and others perceive their behavior. This range of assessments serves as the foundation for a comprehensive development plan to support and build on leader success.
She has a strong organizational consulting background so her coaching often focuses on helping leaders build their leadership skills in service of stepping into a new role or leading a transformation in their organization. She has strong university leadership experience, serving on the board of trustees of a local university, coaching, consulting and teaching at OSU. She bring the combination of academic rigor and proven organizational success into the coaching process.
REPRESENTATIVE COACHING ENGAGEMENTS
Recently promoted department chair – coaching focused on stepping into new responsibilities. This involved both building extended leadership capabilities and job change discussions. I administered multiple assessments and focused on a few key areas:
- Building resilience during the transition,
- Building trusting relationships with the department staff and dean,
- Building skills at the new level of leadership necessary to lead a staff 10x larger than prior staff including linking performance to strategic direction and increasing accountability for results.
Outcome achieved: leader excelled in his new role.
Successes included: balancing budget and resolving long standing department issues in a manner that was satisfactory to all parties.
Leader entering new role that required significant organizational transformation. This was a temporary role that ended in significant promotion. Assessments gave the leader a view of her strong support and capabilities. Coaching focused on:
- Identifying and implementing steps necessary to succeed in temporary role,
- Building accountability in the department,
- Preparing the department for significant innovation,
- Extending leadership capabilities and,
- Providing tools and techniques to manage the extensive reorganization and transformation including managing diverse team and empowering knowledgeable staff to do the right thing.
Outcome achieved – role became permanent meaning a promotion and more responsibility.
Leader preparing for promotion – leader identified as high potential needed additional leadership capability and executive presence. Relied heavily on 360 assessment for feedback to identify specific behaviors that needed to be refined. Leader focused on:
- Building stronger alliances,
- Asserting a clear value proposition for his group,
- Demonstrating a clear point of view on key issues in a way that allowed him to build broad support,
- Building self-awareness. Promotion was successful.
- M.B.A – Finance & General Business
- B.S. – Economics
Certifications and Assessments:
- Coaching – Deep Coaching Institute*
- Generating Transformative Change In Human Systems – Leadership Institute of Seattle (LIOS/Bastyr)
- The Leadership Circle 360 Profile
- The Maturity Assessment Profile (MAP)
- Enneagram Personality Type Assessment
- Innovative Leadership
- Leadership 2050